Tuskegee University was founded in 1881 by Dr. Booker T. Washington with only thirty adults in its first class and Dr. Washington as the first teacher. Agricultural chemist, George Washington Carver, led the school's agriculture department and conducted most of his research there. The University is the only HBCU in the United States to be a designated as a Registered National Historic Landmark (1966) and the only HBCU to be designated a National Historic Site (1974).
Tuskegee University also houses the only Aerospace Science Engineering program at an HBCU, in the General Daniel "Chappie" James Center for Aerospace Science Education, aptly named after America's first black four-star general who was a Tuskegee University graduate. The campus is home to the George Washington Carver Museum, the Booker T. Washington Monument that shows the school's founder lifting a "veil of ignorance" from the head of a former slave, The Oaks (Washington's preserved home), and The National Center for Bioethics in Research and Health Care, which was established as a response to the experimentation on African American men via the Tuskegee Study of Untreated Syphilis in the Negro Male.
The University remains committed to helping develop human resources primarily within the African American community.
To learn more visit: https://www.tuskegee.edu/